Berklee College of Music is offering free online course on Introduction to the Music Business. The overall objective of this course is to learn the latest about the rapidly changing music industry from recording, publishing, and distribution to legal issues confronting music commerce.
This course has been developed to provide students with the latest instruction on the best way for creators, consumers, and facilitators to navigate the resurgence of one of the world’s most exciting industries: the music business. The course will start on September 26, 2016.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 5 hours per week
Institution: Berklee and edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course will start on September 26, 2016
Berklee Online is the online extension school of Berklee College of Music, delivering access to Berklee’s acclaimed curriculum from anywhere in the world. Berklee Online’s award-winning online courses, multi-course certificate programs, and Bachelor of Professional Studies degrees are accredited and taught by the college’s world-renowned faculty, providing lifelong learning opportunities to people interested in music and working in the music industry.
About This Course
Three things are clear about today’s music industry: The consumption of music is expanding at the greatest rate in history and from the most portals ever imagined, the cost of producing music is decreasing, and the number of artists creating and seeking to expose their work and develop careers through the Internet has increased dramatically. As demand grows and Internet piracy wanes, ad-supported and subscription models will generate unprecedented revenues that will surpass even the best of past earnings. And, many astute “music industry-watchers” predict a steep rise in business activity and trade earnings by the end of the decade.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Participants will receive a certificate upon completion of the course.
Whether you’re a music creator, consumer, or facilitator of this process, you’ll want to understand the history, underpinnings, and basics of the music business. This course has been developed to provide students with the latest instruction on the best way for creators, consumers, and facilitators to navigate the resurgence of one of the world’s most exciting industries: the music business. Course author John Kellogg—administrator, educator, entertainment lawyer, performer, and radio and television personality—offers students the opportunity to learn the fundamental principles of the developing new music business, for now and into the future.
- The basic history of the music industry and today’s business trends
- How recording agreements are formulated
- The basics of copyright law as it pertains to the music business
- The role of agents, managers, attorneys, and specific business entities
John P. Kellogg
John P. Kellogg, Esq., Assistant Chair of Music Business Management at Berklee College of Music is an entertainment lawyer and author of a best-selling book on music business-Take Care of Your Music Business, 2nd Edition: Taking the Legal and Business Aspects You Need To Know to 3.0.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- edX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the orghome page and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)
Самым популярным видом кредитования физических лиц в России являетсязаймы, который возможно получить без справок и поручителей в течение одних суток.