Harvard University is offering free online course on JuryX: Deliberations for Social Change. In this course, applicants will learn how to deliberate for social change using a process designed to move a community or affinity group from difference to consensus
JuryX: Deliberations for Social Change is, ultimately, about the most fundamental of human interactions: communication. The course will start on September 27, 2016.
Course At A Glance
Length: 7 weeks
Effort: 2-3 hours per week
Institution: Harvard University and edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $75
Session: Course starts on September 27, 2016
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. Harvard faculty are engaged with teaching and research to push the boundaries of human knowledge. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study.
About This Course
To “jury” is, at its most basic form, to judge. It is an exercise in the deliberation of issues, persuasion, and the polling of results. But how do we, both individually and collectively, navigate this challenging process without fear or rancor?
JuryX: Deliberations for Social Change, an experiment in online discourse, invites you to explore, through a series of asynchronous and synchronous online group activities, a deliberative system by which emotionally charged issues can be discussed with civility, empathy, and a desire to affect meaningful social change.
Although you will learn about the history of jury and even serve as a member of a virtual jury for a mock criminal case, this experiment is all about active participation in the deliberative process and how you might use that framework to facilitate dialogue within your own affinity group or community.
Program consists of six modules. Each week, you will learn and apply a new step in a system designed to foster meaningful dialogue around social change. Starting with an introduction to the course’s deliberative framework, you will move from a traditional jury-based application to a live social issue unfolding in real time: the Massachusetts referendum for the “Legalization, Regulation, and Taxation of Marijuana.” As citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts deliberate on this issue, so will you and your JuryX peers. What arguments will shape this debate, and what will the final outcome be?
Two synchronous small-group deliberations will be held using Google Hangout. Participation is optional, but highly recommended given the course’s emphasis on application.
JuryX: Deliberations for Social Change is ultimately about the most fundamental of human interactions: communication. By listening, speaking, persuading, and being persuaded, you will learn about yourself and others.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- How to deliberate for social change using a process designed to move a community or affinity group from difference to consensus
- How to reflect upon your participation in the deliberative process
- How to use web-based tools to discuss emotionally charged issues
- A high-level history of the jury
William F. Weld Professor of Law
Harvard Law School (Harvard University)
Week 1: Deliberations for Social Change
Week 2: The Trilemma of the Maroons
Week 3: The Art of Deliberation – Part I
Week 4: The Art of Deliberation – Part II
Week 5: The Legalization, Regulation, and Taxation of Marijuana – Part I
Week 6: The Legalization, Regulation, and Taxation of Marijuana – Part II
Epilogue and Final Thoughts: Compare your decision to what citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts chose. Share feedback.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- edX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org home page and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)
Самым популярным видом кредитования физических лиц в России являетсязаймы, который возможно получить без справок и поручителей в течение одних суток.